The real experiences of a thirty-something girl and a brutal look at dating, depression, social observations and the society around her.

Saturday, June 4, 2011

A Little About "The Girl Who Never Gets Hit On"

They say a girl can get anything she wants -- a date, drinks bought for her, out of a speeding ticket, sex. Reading magazines like Cosmo and watching "Sex In the City" make it seem so easy.

Well, you know what, it's not.

I go out a lot -- to networking events, with friends and even alone sometimes -- and nine out of 10 times, I do not get hit on the way people make it seem. I've been asked to get out of a picture, I've been ignored, I've been used to get to another friend...I was even told once, "sorry, no I really want her number, I don't care about yours."

Sometimes I feel like I'm a character in a movie to the point where I think I should take acting lessons and really go be that looser friend to the hot chick in the movies. The night usually ends up with me getting annoyed and texting my best friend telling her how worthless I am, and there has to be something wrong with me.

Here's the catch -- I may not be a size zero, 6-foot-tall blonde, but I also haven't exactly been beaten with the ugly stick. However, considering the way I get treated, I might as well be.

After a networking event in New York City this past week and a whole weeks worth of them the week before that, I got the idea to write this, because a) the stuff that happens is so unbelievable that someone should record it, b) it's good therapy for me c) I'm hoping there are other people out there experiencing this and d) this would make a great book, but I'm not going to wait for a publisher to offer me a deal -- I just want to start writing.

A few rules, everything I write here will be based on what I have experienced/experience or observed/observe, however details like names and locations may be changed, because I do have a career to manage and I don't want to piss off everyone in the world.

Oh, and please don't think this is just a form of bitching. This is really a topic that appeals to me and I think of it more like a reflection of society and a place to talk about this subject openly. 

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do. And, if you don't -- you are probably either a model type who has never experienced this type of outcasting before, or are one of the idiot men I'm likely writing about.

:)

8 comments:

  1. Hi! So...wanna hear some of your examples! Maybe you don't get hit on all the time, but men dooooo notice women. They do. Sometimes we're not aware of it though. Stopping by from LBS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from LBS.

    I so hear where you're coming from...I've been there. I can still feel the pain, irritation, aggravation, etc., even after being married for a year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support. I can't wait to share with you some of the funny, or well, not so funny stories with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting and following from Lady Bloggers Tea Party...I have felt your pain...younger I always got attention and knew I was semi attractive (but not in a snobish way, you just know) now that I'm older and have put on some weight I feel invisible..not the best feeling in the world.
    I look forward to reading some of your stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Might I offer another perspective? The same jackass men you're referring to are the ones who approach me with that snarky quid-pro-quo type of attitude and cheesy pick-up lines that border on verbal sexual harassment as though I've got a sign on my forehead that reads "I'm a whore; please feel free to ignore my personality." The problem is not you; it's them.

    Stopping in from the LBS tea party... and I can see I'm gonna have to come back to this blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by from LBS. I feel so relieved that I was able to skip over this akward looking for dates phase. My husband and I met through mutual friends in college, became good friends ourselves, and the rest is history. Just the thought of being out and dealing with sleezeballs hitting on me (or not hitting on me) and trying to find someone worth my time....ugh!
    Looking forward to hearing stories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post! Stopping by from lady bloggers tea party! Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can relate to a lot of what you are saying. I wouldn't say I never get hit on bur definately not a lot and definately less than my friends. I am trying to go out alone more often though in hopes of building my confidence in social settings and the idea of not taking competition out with me. Since I do want to get married one day and that does involve meeting a guy. Looking forward to following you. Stopping by from the tea party :-)

    ReplyDelete