The real experiences of a thirty-something girl and a brutal look at dating, depression, social observations and the society around her.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

'You're Not Sad, You're Depressed'

I guess if I'm going to truly write this, I need to add in one small detail. OK, maybe big detail - I am depressed.

Not depressed because no body hits on my when I go out or because I'm having a bad day. I am 'clinically depressed' -- whatever that means.

I've gone through counselor after doctor after psychologist who always put my 'depression' off to other thing: a bad job, a bad breakup, anxiety... You get the picture. This was until last year, when I once again tried another new doctor's office.

While I ended up hating the office and the doctors there (maybe it's part of the depression) after the second visit and numerous questions about my life, 'death wishes,' job issues, not being able to get out of bed, personal feelings about thing, she told me I was clinically depressed.

Great.

So what does that mean?

It meant for the first time in my life trying an antidepressant. I already take a pill as needed for anxiety that my general doctor gave me. I've always been totally against this option, even though it has been brought up many times before.

I was on it (I can't even remember the name) for about 3 months, felt great, blew up like a balloon, then felt even more miserable and then decided to take myself off it. Needless to say, I didn't go back to that doctor.


Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

3 comments:

  1. I don't know much about those medications but I know this: when I was in the hospital, the doctors prescribed me with something-or-other (they changed the prescription every day it seemed) and told me that I didn't need it but that it was available for me to take anyway. I was like, thanks, but no thanks...

    stopping in from the lbs tea party. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Antidepressants can help in situations where the neurochemistry of the brain has been affected. Usually, events that have a huge impact on one's life will cause this type of disruption. They can include divorce, loss of a job, a death in the family and so forth. They take a while to kick in but do help in many cases. Your doctor is your best source to obtain information in terms of what effect it will have on you. Good luck! Dropping by from the LBS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding the right doctor makes all the difference. When I was diagnosed years ago I was just as confused and made even more miserable after various medications caused me to pack on the pounds. Eventually, I was introduced to a new prescription and a new therapist (with a great sense of humor!) and everything was smooth-sailing. A couple of years ago, I was finally able to walk away from both and life has been okay ever since. Not perfect, but better... and I'm thankful for that.

    Hang in there.

    *LBS tea partier

    ReplyDelete